Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Radio is Dead


Since getting an iPod, it's been a long time since I've listened to the radio (other than tuning to 87.9 to use my iTrip). While driving home from work tonight, I didn't feel that any CD I had in my car matched my mood, so I decided to roll the dice and turn on my FM tuner. I soon remembered why exactly I hadn't listened to the radio in a long, long time. Granted, I don't live near a thriving metropolis such as Boston, NYC, or L.A., but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to find SOMETHING to listen to. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I ended up settling for Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, the last 30 seconds of a Smashing Pumpkins song (Rocket), and Pink Floyd between several different stations. Very disheartening to say the least. Not to say that all these artists / songs aren't of some value, but I've been hearing them for over 10 years now (on the same stations for the most part). What's new? Don't these stations ever get any new CD's? I know, I know, this is the point where I put in a link to some article about how there are three corporations who control the airwaves. But you know what? I don't care. I'm going to listen to my iPod.


LL Cool J - I Can't Live Without My Radio : Radio

Elvis Costello - Radio, Radio (live): Buy some Elvis ... or some Elvis

The Ramones - Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? : Ramones Mania

Josh Ritter - Golden Age of Radio : 4 Songs Live

Spoon - Car Radio : A Series of Sneaks

The Vines - Don't Listen to the Radio (demo) : Vision Valley

No comments: