Sunday, June 17, 2007

Your old friends, The Archibalds

I can't say that I know a whole heck of lot about Austin band The Archibalds other than they prefer to drink red wine when dining out in the street, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to their debut album O Camellia.

I have to admit to you that's there's something about the album that I can't quite place my finger on. It just feels familiarly comfortable. Right. When you listen to most albums you can say that the lead singer's voice sounds like so-and-so. Or the guitar work reminds you of this other song. Or track 8 reminds you of the song you lost your virginity to. Those sorts of things. But with O Camellia, I just can't do that. And yet somehow, that doesn't matter. It just feels right.

I've been listening to the album over and over again and it's become like an old friend. One that you don't have to share any words to share thoughts or feelings. It's like we've got history; I just don't know where that history came from! Give the following tracks a listen to see if you have the same experience. Sinking Ships has a New Orleans sort of feel to it, while O Camellia (the title track) does a superb job of closing the album.


The Archibalds - Sinking Ships : O Camellia

The Archibalds - O Camellia : O Camellia


Visit their website, their label Breakfast Mascot Records, and become their friend on MySpace.

No comments: