Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Take a ride with The Fairline Parkway

I'll be honest with you, when I first gave A Memory Of Open Spaces a spin, it didn't immediately hook me. As sometimes happens, I had to set it aside for a little while and come back to it, and when I did, this time it stuck. I think part of it had to do with when I listened to it. It's absolutely a summer sounding album. I found myself listening to it on hot, hazy, humid days and it clicked. Just like that. I've always believed that music we listen to reflects much about us as individuals. Oftentimes it reflects the moods we find ourselves drifting through. Occasionally it has the power to shift us out of one mood and into another. Well, it can also reflect what is around us; in this case, the summer atmosphere which I've found has taken hold.

The album is the second from The Fairline Parkway, and just came out yesterday, six years after their debut. As you might surmise from my musings above about the reflections of music, the album really offers a soft languorous groove that you'll find yourself immersed in. If forced to make a comparison, I would suggest their sound resembles Luna meeting another band which I wrote about around this time last year, The Western States Motel. As the title of the post suggests, and as I've found returning to the album and listening to it in the car, it just begs for you to give it a spin while driving around with the window down and the sun beating down on you. I won't belabor the point, just suggest you try listening for yourself.





Visit their label the Kora Records and become their friend on MySpace.


No comments: