Monday, October 09, 2006

the Midas touch

"The name started somewhere on a European tour I did with Elliott Smith. I can't remember," Sullivan says, thinking about how he earned the nickname that would quickly become his band's name. "Elliott said a little joke thing like, 'Hey Goldenboy.' Then (Smith's drummer) Scott McPherson's sister, Lisa, was booking a show in L.A. and they needed another band. Scott remembered me and told Lisa I was Goldenboy. Ever since then I've been Goldenboy." -Shon Sullivan

With a name inspired by Elliott Smith, any band is off to a good start. Then you add the fact that they toured with him...well, how can you go wrong?

Goldenboy's first full length release, Underneath the Radio, hit music store shelves last week. It shows signs of Elliott's influence as well as containing a hint of Belle & Sebastian in my ears as well as being reminiscent of Luna (don't ask me where I pulled that out of...it's been a while since I've listened to much Luna, but for some reason they popped into my mind upon listening to this album). The album is a lush, smooth collection of 12 songs that flow nicely together, yet have individual character of their own.


Goldenboy - Goodbye Erica : Underneath the Radio

Goldenboy - Underneath the Radio : Underneath the Radio

Become a Golden-friend at MySpace.

Check out their webpage.

Some other golden tunes:

Bright Eyes - Going for the Gold : Oh Holy Fools - The Music of Son, Ambulance, and Bright Eyes

Kanye West - Gold Digger : Late Registration

The Kinks - Heart of Gold : Come Dancing With The Kinks - The Best Of The Kinks

Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger (James Bond theme)
: Rock Is Dead, But It Won't Lie Down

No comments: