Saturday, February 07, 2009

Saturday Guest Post - Achtung Baby!

It's hard to believe that it's already the end of the Mainstream Isn't So Bad 1st Annual Guest Writers Week. I hope you enjoyed reading some posts that were better written then most of the dribble that I throw up here! To end the week, I've saved possibly the best for last. Some three plus years ago, when I first discovered this ever widening expanse of mp3 blogs, Achtung Baby! was one of the first that I stumbled upon, and definitely the very first that I purposefully visited regularly. It was (and still is) so artistically well done, mixing so many facets of art together succinctly and poetically: picture, word, and sound. If I were magically able to switch places with any blogger and their blog out there, without doubt Achtung Baby! would be the one I wish I were the writer of. When Juan agreed to participate in this weeks entertainment, I was tickled pink. So without further ado, here's the final post of the week.

-Sean

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


To me, Cole Porter's "Night and Day" is one of the most perfect songs in existence. My first encounter with it was Frank Sinatra's Duets album. Then U2 covered it as a B-side on one of their singles. (here's a live version of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oymNbCTZDAc) For the longest time U2's version was my favorite but lately, Maude Maggart's short and somber reading of it has become a favorite. I'm a sucker for strings.


No comments: