Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Curiouser

When I found out about Kate Nash's sophomore album My Best Friend Is You coming out earlier this year in April, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Her debut, Made of Bricks, was one of my favorite albums of 2008 ( I wrote about it way back here). Unfortunately, much like the Pipettes follow-up efforts (although with no original members are they still really the Pipettes?), Nash's change of direction made me miss the old her. That's where another Kate come in: Kate Miller-Heidke.

Much like Nash's first album, Kate Miller-Heidke's album Curiouser was out in her home country of Australia for a while before coming across the ocean, in this case the Pacific. Unlike Nash, Curiouser is Miller-Heidke's second album. On it you'll find her wonderfully quirky vocals (she was trained in opera), wittily sharp lyrics, and distinct songs that will stick out individually as unique works and not just more tracks of the same. The overall feel of the album very much reminds me of Nash's first (hence the drawn out connection at the beginning of this post), and hopefully this Kate will stick with the sound and not completely alter her style, a folky, slightly electronic, poppy feel that's infectious.






Visit her website and become her friend on MySpace.

No comments: