Sunday, December 17, 2006

11 Albums of 2006

I'm making a list...checking it twice...

Notice the title? Although I've been fighting it for the last couple of weeks, I'm finally caving to blog pressure to post some sort of 2006 list. That being said, I'm not willing to completely bow to meet the norm. Therefor, 11 albums, not 10, and notice no adjectives such as "best," "most artistic," "creatively unique," or even "with the catchiest cover art" (although the last one sounds promising...maybe I'll work on that one next). In fact, I'm not even going to number these albums, I'm going to list them alphabetically!

That being said, here are 11 albums from 2006 that I find myself listening to long after giving them a spin for the first time.


Lily Allen - Alright, Still

This girl just has got a lot of spunk to her. Couple that with the British accent, and you wouldn't mind this girl rejecting you in a bar. Sure there might not be a lot of substance here, but it sure is a lot of fun!



Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

What a huge year for the Monkeys. Maybe it's no longer cool to admit liking these blokes due to their sudden ascent, but I'm willing to place my reputation on the line.



Bitter:Sweet - The Mating Game

This has got to be the wild card out of the bunch. Shana Halligan's sultry voice seduces you into this music taken straight from the lounge.



Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country

I can't wait to check out this group next month when they start their new tour. This album, their third, just cuts right to the heart with some truly tender and emotional songs.



Johnny Cash - American V - A Hundred Highways

Thank goodness for Rick Rubin, that's all I've got to say. If not for Rick, Johnny's American series probably would have never been imagined, nerver mind recorded. And this, the 5th in the series, an unexpected treasure after such a great loss. Stripped, bare, sometimes haunting recordings that are the last will and testament of musical icon.



The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

With the haunting specter of sell-out status hanging in the background, these guys proved that you could artistically stick to your guns with Big Brother marketing your album.



The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea

Although disappointed with their live performance, I'm still enjoying their latest album. Compared to their previous release, Rehearsing the Choir, this album could have been the number one pick on TRL. Not to say they've lost any of their quirky charm...just reigned it in a bit so the rest of us could connect with it.



Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

This is the year that I fell in love with Neko's voice. I couldn't help it. She's convinced me that a little country isn't all that bad.



Page France - Hello, Dear Wind

Not since Stryper have I enjoyed a band that makes so many biblical allusions in their music. There's just something so light about them; it feels like weight (and your sins) is lifting off your shoulders as you listen.



Josh Ritter - The Animal Years

The only thing better than listening to this album over and over again is seeing him perform these songs live. In a world of acoustic folk singers, Josh shines out about the rest with his sincere and introspective lyrics.



Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

This group screams raw emotional intensity and urgency, there's no two ways about it.



-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

That wraps it up folks. My "11 Albums from 2006" list...hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: