Thursday, March 01, 2007

Put up your Dukes

Sometimes you find the strangest things in the darndest places. For example: the other day I was at the mall with my cousin who was getting an eye exam for a new set of glasses. While he was busy I wandered into f.y.e. to peruse music, not expecting much. Not wanting to pay a ridiculus $19.99 for a new CD, I was scoping out the used section when I came across something I couldn't have found if I was looking for: the original soundtrack for the Dukes of Hazard TV show! I'm not talking about the recent movie with Jessica Simpson in it; I mean the TV show from the early 80's!

The album is an entertaining mix of narration from several of the characters (primarily Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane) and mostly painful cheesy 80's country music (with a few exceptions).

Starting off the album is, what else, the full length version of the theme song sung by Waylon Jennings (who also was the voice of the narrator during episodes). Important to note, this is not identical to the opening number played at the beginning of the show. Although quite similar, there are some changed lyrics. If anyone has the original TV theme, send it my way and I'd be happy to post it.

Waylon Jennings - Good Ol' Boys (Dukes of Hazard Theme)
: Dukes of Hazard Soundtrack

The second track on the CD is probably the most listenable and worthwhile; the Man in Black, Johnny Cash, singing about the General Lee, that sweet bright orange Dodge Charger the boys loved to jump over creeks with.

Johnny Cash - The General Lee : Dukes of Hazard Soundtrack

This last track is something of a gag. It's James Best (i.e. Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane) singing about that lovable Basset Hound, Flash.

James Best (Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane) - Flash
: Dukes of Hazard Soundtrack

No comments: