Monday, June 13, 2011

Wild Rockers!


I've got an assortment of compilations culled by Scottish DJ Keb Darge, and as far as I'm concerned they're all top shelf stuff. I've written about a couple of them last year (Keb Darge & Little Edith's Legendary Rockin' R'n'B and Lost & Found: Real R'n'B & Soul), and when I first scoped Keb Darge & Little Edith's Legendary Wild Rockers, I didn't even think twice about expecting the same deep, high quality cuts that I've come to love from Darge.

While known as a purveyor of northern soul, Darge's knowledge don't rest there; he also takes a keen interest in rare rockabilly (he's previously released Keb Darge And Cut Chemist Present - Lost And Found: Rockabillly), and this latest release gathers together 20 rare rockabilly, surf and exotica tunes that would be good enough to tickle Martin Denny's fancy and are just as sharp as his soul finds. Indeed, one of my favorite rockabilly tracks of all time, The Jiants' song Tornado, is here, along with nineteen others that I probably would not have laid ears on if it weren't for Darge.

You'll hear a lot of parallels to early R&R as well as country (think Elvis and Johnny Cash rocking out in Sun Studios) in this collection there will be sure to get your pelvis moving. Like I said above, it's a solid collection of deep cuts that you probably would never be privy to unless you dug for 45's in some deep dark crates. It comes out next month, check out a preview below with Buzz Saw and one from another of Darge's comps.



Become his friend on MySpace, and visit the BBE Records site.

No comments: