Thursday, November 08, 2007

the soul kitsch of Bubbles & Cheesecake

"I live in a pink house stuffed with soul. There's the soul music I create and the soul icons who are my friends and collaborators. Then there's the swirl of soul kitsch that's around everything I do, shooting my eyeballs a funkattudional zap everywhere I look. I love kitsch because so much of it is the result of deliriously un-self conscious ideas and execution. I love soul because in its most unadulterated form it's a raw expression of the heart. Soul is certainly not always kitsch and kitsch can certainly lack soul. But when they meet, both bursts of joyous exuberance can collide into one funky object. And when that happens I hope it ends up here!"
-Allee Willis

OK ladies, today's post is all about you. Any men reading this, you had better pull a Tootsie real quick cuz it's a woman thang!

Meet Bubbles & Cheesecake, a collaboration between singer-songwriter Holly Palmer (who's worked with Gnarls Barkley, Dr. Dre, and David Bowie) and Grammy award winning Songwriter Allee Willis (who's wrote chart-busting hits for Earth, Wind and Fire, The Pointer Sisters, the theme to Friends, and many others - as well as being an all around media mastermind). Put the two together and you have an ultra-kitschy dynamic duo that's full of soul, spunk, and funk. If you don't believe me, check out the two songs below.

And while you're listening to them, make sure to check out the pair's website. It's a multi-media extravaganza that you'll kill lots of time exploring. There are games to play, girl-power fuel to consume, a store full of Woman Thang merchandise (I particularly like the "Almost Nude" t-shirt), and a soul patch to inspire you. Take it all in and rejoice in your femininity (even you guys out there - your girl will love you for it).


Watch the video for the EP's title track It's A Woman Thang.




Visit their website and become their friend on MySpace.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
More of Allee's songs

The Pointer Sisters - Neutron Dance : Break Out

The Rembrandts - I'll Be There For You (Theme From Friends) : L.P.

No comments: