Friday, January 19, 2007

Albums I Missed - Asobi Seksu

So with 2006 a year for the history books, it's time to look back and see what I missed while letting things like bills, work, and cleaning get in the way.

With a band name that translates to "playful sex" in English, I REALLY have no idea how I missed the boat on this album. Asobi Seksu released their sophomore effort, Citrus, last May or so, and ever since I've seen their name and that catchy orange album artwork here, there, and everywhere. Luckily, my ol' friend eMusic has several albums to choose from, including their latest.

If you also are a little late to give Asobi Seksu a whirl, expect a wide musical panorama. From slow, lush dreamscapes to churning, squealing guitar driven songs, Citrus playfully runs the gamut of musical backdrops to support the vocals of Yuki Chikudate effortlessly and seamlessly switching between English and Japanese. Think one part 80's fun-pop, one part Moby in his ambient phase, and one part 99 Luftballons. (which I guess could be considered a second part of 80's fun-pop!)


Asobi Seksu - Thursday
: Citrus

Asobi Seksu - Lions And Tigers : Citrus


and one from their self-titled debut...

Asobi Seksu - I'm Happy But You Don't Like Me : Asobi Seksu


Visit their website, their label Friendly Fire Recording, and become their friend on MySpace

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nena - 99 Luftballons (German version) : Totally 80's


No comments: