Monday, January 14, 2008

Eels contest


Over the last dozen years or so, Mark Oliver Everett (aka E) has pulled together an ever changing cast of characters to perform a diverse range of music under the band name The Eels. Tomorrow, he's poised to release a pair of albums that highlight a decade of audio accomplishments:



The first of the pair is titled MEET THE EELS: Essential EELS Vol. I, 1996-2006 (CD+DVD), and it includes two discs: one containing 24 audio tracks, and one DVD with 11 videos. The tracks on the audio CD span the group's creative output over the decade with tracks from their releases as well as a couple additional tracks (a live version of Dirty Girl and the unreleased Get Ur Freak On).



The second, and perhaps more interesting for die-hard Eels fans, is titled EELS Useless Trinkets: B-Sides, Soundtracks, Rarities and Unreleased 1996-2006, which easily tops their last digital rarities release B-Sides & Rarities 1996-2003 by including a mouth watering 50 tracks split between two audio CDs AND an additional DVD with footage from Lollapalooza 2006. Some of the songs include longtime concert favorite Living Life from the Daniel Johnston tribute album, the previously unreleased 2006 cover of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ I Put A Spell On You and other covers including James Carr’s Dark End of The Street and Prince’s If I Was Your Girlfriend. There are also a large handful of BBC performances, unique live versions of Novocaine For The Soul and My Beloved Monster, and tracks from films (The End Of Violence, Holes, Levity and How The Grinch Stole Christmas).

You can check out the full track listings for both at the Eels website.

The only thing better than the fact that both of these are coming out tomorrow is that I have one copy of each to give away to lucky readers. All you have to do to enter is leave a comment (or e-mail me) with your name and e-mail address. Next Mondayish I'll randomly pick two different winners to give them away to. Since you might just be interested in one or the other, when you enter tell me if you are yearning for the Essential Eels discs, the Useless Trinkets discs, or whatever you can get for free!


Eels - Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis cover) : B-Sides & Rarities 1996-2003 (no longer available - is on Useless Trinkets)

Eels - Saturday Morning : Music From The OC: Mix 2 (is on Essential Eels)

Visit their website and become their friend on MySpace.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I first heard of the Eels watching "Along Came Polly" (Mr. E's Beautiful Blues). I think they're great!!

Marc Hughes said...

Marc Hughes
atomicempowerment@gmail.com
I love the Eels and would love to get my mits on either or both!

D. A. Mannyson said...

The Eels are cool but I don't have alot of their tunes. I want it all!

Larry said...

I always dug the Eels but the Blinking Lights 2-CD set just knocked me on my ass with its power and sweep. Simply remarkable. Meantime, since you're kind enough to ask, I'm all about the USELESS TRINKETS set!

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard much of their music, and am excited to hear more :)
carolyn.rawr@gmail.com

zillagord said...

Sean:
OK, I'll bite. Mr E and his Eels move me like no other. I've got all their "mainstream" releases, so I am champing at the bit for the Useless Trinkets. I'm sure I could find a use for 'em...
Thanks,
Gordon
underthegordwalk@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I've loved the Eels since I first heard Novocaine For The Soul in 1997. I have all their albums except a few of the live ones.
Thanks,

Cormac
mogiaw@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

The Eels have always been one of my favorites. I'd love the Useless Trinkets set, but I wouldn't deny the Essentials.

Nick
coolguystuff82@yahoo.com

Keith said...

Eels. Excellent.

Keith
rotundablog@gmail.com
undertherotunda.net

Colonel Knowledge said...

I like The Eels Band and I particularly enjoy getting free stuff.

Good day to you, sir.



Col Knowledge at gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Some music gives you a chill to the spine -
I like Eels. A lot.
But, my Boyfriend LOVES it (this love existed long before he met me).

And, since Mr. E will be visiting us soon, it would be really special to give this music to my love.

Michou


mika chou chou @ hot mail .c om

Mike Bevil said...

Loved the eels since E's first album. I would love to be eligible for Useless Trinkets (I have everything else on the other disc).
Thanks

bob said...

If you haven't already - listen to the song "Things the Grandchildren Should Know" -- specifically the Eels with Strings version. One of the most profound songs (in my opinion) in the entire Eels library.

Count me in for either one.

Anonymous said...

I'd like the CDs!

ekalett@yahoo(dot)com

Scott said...

Good stuff indeed!
Scott Tucker scott.p.tucker@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I love eels!
Jacob Miller
mconstant42@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I love Eels too!

pshawuk@yahoo.com