Saturday, February 07, 2009

Saturday Guest Post - Achtung Baby!

It's hard to believe that it's already the end of the Mainstream Isn't So Bad 1st Annual Guest Writers Week. I hope you enjoyed reading some posts that were better written then most of the dribble that I throw up here! To end the week, I've saved possibly the best for last. Some three plus years ago, when I first discovered this ever widening expanse of mp3 blogs, Achtung Baby! was one of the first that I stumbled upon, and definitely the very first that I purposefully visited regularly. It was (and still is) so artistically well done, mixing so many facets of art together succinctly and poetically: picture, word, and sound. If I were magically able to switch places with any blogger and their blog out there, without doubt Achtung Baby! would be the one I wish I were the writer of. When Juan agreed to participate in this weeks entertainment, I was tickled pink. So without further ado, here's the final post of the week.



To me, Cole Porter's "Night and Day" is one of the most perfect songs in existence. My first encounter with it was Frank Sinatra's Duets album. Then U2 covered it as a B-side on one of their singles. (here's a live version of it: For the longest time U2's version was my favorite but lately, Maude Maggart's short and somber reading of it has become a favorite. I'm a sucker for strings.

No comments: