Thursday, June 22, 2006

FREEEEDOOOMMMM!


Picture Mel Gibson yelling freedom in Braveheart...that was me at 11:00 AM this morning when I said goodbye to my students one last time and summer vacation officially began. (Hopefully you're picturing the scene where he leads his troops into battle and not the one where he is being castrated by a rusty garden tool.)

Which isn't to say I won't still have to wake up early (I will for my daughter), or that I don't have to work (I have several part time jobs), but just the idea of being on "summer vacation" harkens back to younger days when it meant no responsibilities or obligations, and many weeks when you could wake up, eat, watch TV, or hang out with your friends whenever you wanted. Even though that isn't the case anymore, those sentiments still brighten the day. For those of you who are not teachers or students and summer vacation holds no such feelings, you have my sympathy (although I can't promise I won't chuckle at you under my breath).

The Soup Dragons - I'm Free (Freedom Remix) : I'm Free (single)

Alice Cooper - School's Out : School's Out

The Fiery Furnaces - Here Comes The Summer : Live on KEXP, NYC 4-6-05 (Originally on EP)

David Grey - Freedom : Live in DC at the 9:30 club (Originally on A New Day at Midnight)

Dressy Bessy - Big Vacation : Pink Hearts Yellow Moons

Hanalei - This Is Going to Be the Best Summer Ever : We Are All Natural Disasters

No comments: