Saturday, June 03, 2006

Rainy Day Blues

I'm supposed to go to a picnic today, but the heavens have decided to open up. Picnics just aren't the same inside, ya know? I understand the importance of rain and all, it's just too bad we couldn't figure out some way to automate the whole thing and be able to time rain for night and during the work day. Anyway, I've put together some mostly slow, mostly blue songs to listen to while lounging on the couch reading (because there's not much else to do).

Sarah Vaughn - September in the Rain (mp3) - At Mister Kelly's (live)
This is the opening song for a wonderful live album by Sarah. This song is pared down with an accompanying piano and some light drums keeping the beat going...nice and quiet so you can focus on her voice, and God what a beautiful voice it is. As far as I'm concerned, Sarah, Nina Simone, and Ella Fitzgerald were the first three Divas of music.
Josh Ritter - Rainslicker (mp3) - Hello Starling
I felt your hand light on my sleeve
as light as a bird that might offer a sinner reprieve
we don’t know too much I know we don’t know too much
but love rains mysteriously
and behind every cloud is a purpose only now we can see


Although I'm diggin' Josh's new album (and who isn't in this blogosphere), Hello Starling is the CD that got me hooked and holds a special place in my heart.
Moby - The Rain Falls and the Sky Shudders (mp3) - Move EP
Although Moby hit the big scene with his driving beat heavy song Go, he can sure put together some nice slow instrumentals as well, and this is one of them.
Manic Street Preachers - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (mp3) - Help: A Charity Project For The Children Of Bosnia
Simply a fun song recorded for a great cause.
Jane Sibbery - It Can't Rain All the Time (mp3) - The Crow Soundtrack
I can still remember all the controversy surrounding Brandon Lee's death during the filming of the movie. I can also remember the incredibly HORRIBLE sequal that they put out. For those of you who weren't aware, the original film was actually based on a graphic novel (a.k.a. comic book to those who don't consider them literary works) by James O'Barr. Please check it out if you've never read it before. This song wraps up the soundtrack and offers an incredibly poignent glimmer of faint hope to an otherwise depressingly morose story.
Frank Sinatra - Come Rain Or Come Shine (mp3) - The Reprise Collection
I just don't think there will ever be a group of musicians/real men who lived life like the Rat Pack did. Sure Frank could swing, but he can croon, too...as this song proves. Although based on his marriage record, I'm not sure he stuck to this song's theme.
The Beta Band - Dry the Rain (mp3) - The Three EP's
Someone else in blog-post-land recently posted on these guys. I apologize for not remember exaclty who. This song also appeared on John Cusack's High Fidelity Soundtrack. As John put it, "Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
Emilie Simon - To the Dancers In the Rain (mp3) - Emilie Simon
I really know nothing about Emilie other than how beautifully delicate her voice and this song are. I wouldn't say that my daughter exactly dances in the rain, but she sure loves to stomp in the puddles.
Dar Williams - The Beauty of the Rain (mp3) - The Beauty of the Rain
I've written too much at this point, I'll let Dar sing for herself.

(to download, right click and then "save as")

No comments: