Saturday, November 07, 2009

Glee!

So I'm sure I've shared this before, but I'm not a TV watcher. I can curl up on the couch and watch a movie every once and a while, but watching a weekly show just isn't my bag. I think that might change though. I've been listening to the soundtrack for the TV show Glee nearly non-stop for the last couple of weeks. Here's the show's description: "GLEE, the genre-defying new musical comedy series, follows an optimistic teacher who - against all odds and a malicious cheerleading coach - attempts to save McKinley High's Glee Club from obscurity while helping a group of aspiring underdogs realize their true star potential."

I had caught bits and pieces of the show here and there, and while entertained, wasn't hooked. Listening to this soundtrack though makes me want to go back and watch the entire season. They take some contemporary songs, well know to all, and very handily make them fresh, new, and their own. Everything from classic rock ballads (Journey's Don't Stop Believin') to Motown (the Supreme's You Keep Me Hangin' On) to hip hop (Kanye West's Gold Digger) to Karaoke classics (Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline) to 80's pop-punk (Billy Idol's Dancing With Myself) to_______ (you name it). No matter the song, no matter the genre, the Glee cast makes it catchy as all get out.

So yeah, this coming Wednesday you'll find me sitting on the couch (which is quite the rarity) catching the newest episode of Glee. In the meantime, I'm going to keep spinning this soundtrack.





Visit the show's official website, the soundtrack's label Columbia Records, and become their friend on MySpace.

5 comments:

cconiam said...

Check out more GLEE here.... http://www.squidoo.com/GLEELOVE

Matt Klomp said...

Such a great, addictive show. Amazing how the cast can make almost anything sound so good. Counting the days to pick up the 2nd soundtrack next month!

Sean said...

Matt,

I'm right there with you. Can't wait to pick up Vol. 2!

Unknown said...

Volume 2 is incredible. Please do yourself a favor and buy that record http://bit.ly/6nUbY1

Sean said...

You're absolutely right Josef! I've been meaning to write about it. It'll make a perfect gift for someone, too.