Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Soul - Think (About It)

This morning I cracked my knuckles, did some serious diggin', and came up with a PHENOMENAL haul of LPs (ten of them) and 45's (twenty nine to be precise) for only about $50. It was probably my best outing ever, so when I got home it was difficult deciding what to throw on. I must have gone through the 45's a dozen times trying to figure out what I wanted to flip first, and in the end, I just took one at random, otherwise I would still be scratching my head and himming and hawing.

In the end, the winner was a single from James Brown's People label, a song that's been dusted off and sampled by hip hop heads many times over (most famously by Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock on their mega-hit It Takes Two). It features one of the many great female back up singers that were lucky enough to share the stage with the Godfather of Soul, Lyn Collins. Although I had been familiar with Lyn before, I hadn't realized until I did some reading today that she was related to Bootsy Collins, the man who was involved in making more of the funk music in the 70's than anyone else, playing in his own band The Pacesetters, behind James Brown, in George Clinton's Parliament/Funkadelic collective, and another of his own bands, Bootsy's Rubber Band.

Anyway, when Lyn finally got to step out of JB's shadow and take center stage to cut a single, she cut the monster hit Think (About It), a song that would be her biggest hit ever and become one of the biggest women's anthems ever. While the Female Preacher (as she would known) would continue to back and record her own material, this is the song that she'll be forever known for. I actually posted a cover of it back in July of last year from Ubiquity Records' Lions with Noelle Scaggs singing, but here's the original for you to enjoy backed with a very original cover of Bill Withers' Ain't No Sunshine.




Get them both on the full length Think (About It).

No comments: