Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Nothing But (part of) the Best of Frank Sinatra

"I adore making records. I'd rather do that than most anything else."

-Frank Sinatra

Just a quick note about the latest Frank Sinatra release - Nothing But the Best. Although it's 22 tracks of Frank's classic material remastered (and a new rendition of Body and Soul), there should be a little caveat added on to the title: *of the Reprise years*. Don't get me wrong, there are some really smashing tracks here, although a few I might have switched out for a few personal favorites. Missing are Let's Fall In Love, I Get A Kick Out Of You, Pennies From Heaven, I've Got You Under My Skin, The Lady Is A Tramp - I could go on and on, but heck, how can you narrow down his best to 22 tracks?

I guess with a catalog as deep as Frank's, you're never going to hit it dead on for everyone though. That being said, if you're really looking for a more comprehensive collection from this period of his career, go with The Reprise Collection Box Set. Don't want to shell out that much dough or can't imagine listening to four discs of Ol' Blue Eyes? This disc is what you should go with.

It's release on May 14th coincided with the tenth anniversary of his passing and the initial batch of them includes a free United States postage stamp honoring him and bearing a first-day cancellation from Las Vegas, Nevada on May 13.




Visit his website and this compilation's label Reprise Records.


No comments: