Saturday, May 31, 2008

Snacktime with Barenaked Ladies

It's hard not to love the Barenaked Ladies. I know, I know, they're mainstream to the extreme, but their zaniness is contagious. Keep them as your guilty pleasure if you will, but I'll be up front with my enjoyment of their music. That being said, I was excited to check out their newest album, Snacktime!, which came out earlier this month. It's billed as a children's album, but as with many Disney movies, there's plenty here for listeners of all ages. Take Raisins for example which opens with; Raisins come from grapes / people came from apes / I come from Canada / i came in first place / in a non-existent race / to rebuild the Parthenon / the Parthenon is in Greece / or was it in Grease 2?

Although some tracks clearly appeal to younger ears (the album opener 7 8 9, for example), there are also some tracks here which might escape their attention if they're not close listeners. I spun the disc for my four year old daughter, and her favorite was Popcorn, a very They Might Be Giants'ish track (in fact much of the album feels inspired by TMBG) which musically is very kid-friendly, but again, not all the tracks are, which might make the album more suitable for older children.

You can get the album along with an illustrated book full of stories and illustration inspired by the songs. Head here to check it out and order it (it comes with a copy of the disc).




Visit their website and become their friend on MySpace.


No comments: