Saturday, July 26, 2008

Jihae

Korean born singer Jihae (pronounced "Jee-heh") was not on my radar until I listened to her latest release, a digital, five track EP titled Afterthought. It contains a new song from her, Simple Man (listen below), and four remixes of tracks from her first full length release, My Heart Is An Elephant. Although the music's got an electronic tint to it, her vocals provide a striking contrast, emotionally packed and ethereally haunting at times.

Probably my favorite track of the five here is a remix of her cover of Nina Simone's song Do I Move You?. While Nina's original rendition was full of spunk and attitude making it clear who was boss, Jihae changes the perspective, turning the tables to a sultry and seductive slowly cadenced affair that will leave you feeling hot and sticky.






Visit her website and become her friend on MySpace.


No comments: