Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Zion I Searches and Seizes

I have to admit that it's taken me MONTHS to finally check this mixtape out. And when I say months, I mean two. That being said, I'm kicking myself in the arse for not having done so quicker. It's put together buy Zion I, who're also set to release their latest release, The TakeOver, later this month, which to be honest, would have been on my favorites of 2008 list if it had come out a month earlier.

It's set up just like a tape; there's a Side A which is all about the old skool hip hop, and Side B which pulls in indie rock and electro territory. Although both sides do it for me, Side A really spins my gears. On it, you'll find breaks pulled in from some seriously classic cuts including Run-DMC's Jam Master Jay (which opens up the tape), Public Enemy's Terminator X To The Edge Of Panic, MC Lyte's Paper Thin, and EPMD's You Gots to Chill (on Gotsa Chill, a track that features Talib Kweli that you can hear below).

Best thing of all? It's free. Zero dollars and zero cents. And you need to get it. HERE.


Zion I- Gotsta Chill (Temperature RMX feat. Talib Kweli) : The Search & The Seizure Mixtape Side A

MC Lyte - Paper Thin : Hip Hop Essentials 1979-1991 Volume 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post, but i'm looking for the original version of gotsta chill too. Any help?

Sean said...

I know that you can find it on iTunes and as a digital download at Amazon. Hope that helps.