Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Limbeck - Just Country Enough

Although I've been a Johnny Cash fan for quite a while, I tend to approach straight-up country music with some trepidation (although I wouldn't pigeon-hole Cash in this category - he's much more of a genre of his own). Sure I listened to Uncle Tupelo and Cracker back in the early 90's, but since then my boots haven't taken me down the alt-country road all that much. In the last year I've been taken in by Neko Case's music, but that's a story for another post.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let me get onto Limbeck. The band formed back in 1999 in Orange County, California and has since released a couple full length albums as well as some EP's and singles. On April 10th, the band is poised to release their third full length album, the self-titled Limbeck. Although classifiable as alt-country, instead of just sticking to the twangy cowboy sound, their album employs ukulele, bar chimes, vocoder, horns and strings to bolster the melodies. Sure there are a couple tracks that just scream "play me in a Ford F-150 with an extended cab and a shotgun rack in the back window," but there are also some tracks on the pop end of the spectrum as well. Although both tracks below fall inbetween, "Big Drag," the first track below, drifts toward F-150 country, and "Let's Get Crazy" appeals more to the top 40 crowd. Enjoy both and then pick up the album when it comes out on the 10th.


Limbeck - Big Drag : Limbeck

Limbeck - Let's Get Crazy : Limbeck


and here's one from their last release...

Limbeck - Let's Talk About the Weather : Big Drag

Visit their website, their label Doghouse Records, and become their friend on MySpace.

The band is kicking off a MASSIVE tour schedule. Head here to see if they're playing near you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw these dudes for the first time the other day with Hot Rod Circuit. They were pretty good but to be honest HRC blew them off the stage. I think just the new hrc songs are so powerful it showed up limbeck a lot.. but still a good band.