Friday, October 26, 2007

Songs from the Bigtop

Who doesn't like the circus? OK, so besides all of you who are deathly afraid of clowns, who doesn't like the circus?

Welcome to The Bigtop, a movie-musical written by Devon Reed. From what I know about it, the film, which is set to be released in early 2008, centers on the life of Vincent O'Malley, a young man who runs away with the circus only to become consumed by his desire for power and the love of a woman. Ahhh...who can't connect their own life with that storyline?

To accompany the movie-musical, Devon has written an entire soundtrack of songs, titled Songs from the Bigtop, that is available digitally now via iTunes, and which will be available to order physically February 5th, 2008. Considering the fact that it's an independent (seemingly low-budget) production, he's recruited quite a talented roster of artists to perform the songs he's written. Here's the track listing:
1. Lisa Germano - Magic
2. The Clientele - Your Song
3. Michael Leviton - I Only Want the Sky
4. Damien Jurado - Ashes
5. Matthew Sweet - Wild
6. Tullycraft - The Girl Who’s Above Us
7. Howe Gelb - Falling In Love
8. The Owls - I Just Can’t Keep Up
9. Communique - Way to Walk
10. Marbles - Something, Nothing, Everything
11. Eleventh Dream Day - Planning My Escape
12. Doug Martsch - Cracked and Crazed
13. The Sprites - Patience
He has this to say about his choices: “Each artist was a different story but, in general, I was a fan before I became a collaborator. Also, we tried to assign proper tracks to people. So wistful, playful artists got songs we wanted to be wistful and playful and the rocking tracks went to bands that could do them justice.” Enjoy the following tracks and remember to look for the movie early next year.


Michael Leviton - I Only Want The Sky : Songs From the Bigtop



Damien Jurado - Ashes : Songs From the Bigtop


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
More Circus Fun!

Say Hi To Your Mom - Hooplas Involving Circus Tricks : Numbers & Mumbles

The Decemberists - My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeze Artist : Five Songs

Page France - Circus Head (Nobody Knows) : ...and the Family Telephone

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - The Tears Of A Clown : Legends

4 comments:

Music Snob said...

Thanks for the comment, and I know what you mean about Zeppelin. When I was 12, I listened to Led Zeppelin exclusively. Luckily, those songs led me to other music and now I listen to everything.

Maybe that's why I enjoy yor blog. You don't stick to the music that's already being covered by Rolling Stone and Spin. It's refreshing!

Anonymous said...

The 'Songs From The Bigtop' soundtrack seems to have been entered into iTunes wrong. When it comes up the bands don't match the songs. Communiqué, The Owls, Tullycraft, and The Marbles are all mixed up! It's very frustrating!!!!

Sean said...

Disappointed,

I'll pass on your frustration to Devon so he can hopefully get iTunes to fix the problem.

sean

Devon Reed said...

I've told my distributor. They tell me that this might take a month to resolve. Sorry about the confusion. Please see the track listing at bigtopmovie.com. The track numbers are correct; it's the artist/song info that is misleading.