Friday, August 22, 2008

Fumbling Towards Sarah McLachlan

I first came across Sarah McLahlan indirectly. One of her songs, Hold On, was on an early 90's alternative rock compilation titled No Alternative (a benefit album produced to raise money for the Red Hot Organization in its fight against AIDs - long time readers of MISB probably recognize is as there are A LOT of really great tracks on it from some really great bands, some of which I've posted before). I absolutely loved Sarah's song, and it was my favorite track from a great line-up of tracks. Because of it I went out and purchased the album which it came from, Fumbling Towards Ecstacy.

That album was incredible. I listened to it over and over again. Hold On remained my favorite track, but others came close to being just as good. It was so incredibly sensual, but in a completely wholesome and fulfilling way. There was just such a pure beauty to it that shone threw and bedazzled me.

Well now, fifteen years later, Nettwerk Records has released a Legacy Edition of the album which contains not just the original disc, but a total of three discs: the original album with an additional piano version of one of the songs (Possession), a second disc which was originally released separately as The Freedom Sessions (a collection of acoustic versions of songs from Fumbling), and a third DVD disc containing live footage of Sarah performing the songs from the album in concert.

There's really nothing completely new here, and longtime fans of Sarah probably have everything as pieces, but as a package, it's a killer deal. Personally, I've enjoyed much of her music since this album, but nothing I've fallen in love with like this one. This is a perfect chance to rediscover a wonderful album.



Visit her website, her label Nettwerk, and become her friend on MySpace.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Sarah McLachlan - Drawn To The Rhythm
: Solace

Sarah McLachlan - I Will Remember You
: The Brothers McMullen Soundtrack

No comments: