Thursday, August 28, 2008

the underage Sonya Kitchell

So with all the hoopla in the Olympics about the underage gymnasts, I'm calling into question the age of Sonya Kitchell, who is claimed to be only 19 (and released her first EP at 16). Kitchell's second album, This Storm, comes out September 2nd, and is exhibit A in my book contesting her supposed age. Nineteen year olds should be singing in mall tours (anyone remember Tiffany?) or on American Idol, not singing the tracks on this album. Seriously, it's really good stuff.

I just can't come to terms with the fact that her voice is that of an nineteen year old. It's got a smokey smoothness and cadence that almost instantly reminded me of Chan Marshall (aka Cat Power) with the accompanying bluesy background. Clearly I'm not the only one impressed with her voice. Kitchell has had the opportunity to partner with jazz great Herbie Hancock both on tour and on his 2007 Joni Mitchell tribute The Joni Letters (read about it here). Almost as shocking as her voice is the revelation that she grew up about 20 minutes away from where I live and this is my first time catching her sound.

With a voice and talent this developed at eighteen, the future seems bright from Kitchell. She's playing live near me next month and I hope to check out her live show to see how it measures up. In the meantime, enjoy these two cuts from the record.



Sonya Kitchell - For Every Drop : This Storm

Sonya Kitchell - Here to There : This Storm



Visit her website, her label Velour Recordings, and become her friend on MySpace.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cat Power - It's Alright To Fail : The Hottest State Soundtrack

No comments: