Monday, August 31, 2009

Anjulie Booms again




At the end of last year, I was sent a three track teaser for upcoming artist Anjulie, and shared one of those, Boom (which now has a new video, see above), with you all. At the time I commented on the fact that it reminded me of Bitter:Sweet, with the other two closer to Little Jackie or Lily Allen. Well since then (last month as a matter of fact), she's released her self-titled debut, and I got a chance to see what direction the album would take.

To be honest, in hindsight the promo actually turned out to be a pretty good barometer, although not completely, exactly representative. While all three songs from the promo appear on the album, the ten other new tracks mostly fall between the two ends of the spectrum I picked up on before. Many of them have that retro-lounge feel, minus the space element. Many of them have that piano sparkly soul attitude to them. Although ultimately I think I would have preferred the album to have gone one way or another, the middle ground is enjoyable in its own right. Try one of the new tracks, Rain, below.






Visit her website, her label Hear Music, and become her friend on MySpace.

No comments: