Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Pony Up! Stays Gold

It's been three years in the making, but Pony Up!'s third album Stay Gold is now out and about. It's hard to believe, but their last album, Make Love to the Judges With Your Eyes, was one of the first albums that I wrote about, way back here. I've loved the girls since their self titled debut EP back in 2005, having been turned on to them indirectly through Ben Lee, who was playing a cover of their song Matthew Modine at some of his live shows. I traced it back to them and loved their energetic offbeat quirkiness. Their second release (that above mentioned Make Love...) displayed a different side of the girls and was a little darker and more mature than the EP.

While I was eagerly awaiting this album, I was scratching my head trying to figure out where they would go on the third time around: return to their zaniness or continue down a more serious path. This time around, the girls have parted ways with Dim Mak and recorded the album on their own, resulting in some beautifully stamped, hand-made cases. In terms of sound, the new album retains the mature complexity of their last one, with some deeply intense lyrics flowing below the ladies' trademark sound, a sound that uses some fairly standard instrumentation yet is still diversified enough to stay fresh. And to be honest, that's what I like best about their music, it's depth is there if you really listen. Try out Making More Beneath to see what I mean.




and an old favorite:


and the song that turned me on to them:

Ben Lee - Matthew Modine (Pony Up! cover) : Live 03-21-05 at the Bluebird Theatre


Become their friend on MySpace.

No comments: