Monday, November 26, 2007

Masonic-ettes

Retro is definitely in, especially when it comes to music lately. Austin indie-pop band Masonic must have gotten the memo when it came to putting together their fourth release, Things I Am Guilty Of, which came out on the 20th. I can't tell you much about the band except that they've been around since 2002 and are apparently big in their hometown. What I can tell you is they front a very retro groovy feel to their music which reminds me of The Raveonettes if they lost their dark reverbed fetish. (I feel like that's become my recycled line lately, but it's true, and speaking of which, they will be releasing Lust Lust Lust come January. It's already out in the UK so you might have already heard a track or two. If not, there's one below to titillate your taste buds.)

Orchestral sweeps, a sweet voice flowing over it all, and a curve ball here and now to throw you off balance: the throw-back cover-track Runaway (a Del Shannon tune), the almost ABBA inspired Moving On, and the Camera Obscura'ish Way Gone By jump out as stand outs. The whole album is definitely worth a listen, so give Masonic a chance.


Masonic - Under the Radar : Things I Am Guilty Of

Masonic - Runaway (Del Shannon cover) : Things I Am Guilty Of


Visit their website and become their friend on MySpace.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Raveonettes - Aly Walk With Me : Lust Lust Lust

Del Shannon - Runaway : American Graffiti Soundtrack (Disc 1)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi: the mp3 links doesn't work :(

Sean said...

Sorry about that - my file server is down at the moment. If the banner appears at the top of the page, it's back, otherwise, come back a little later.